Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Missed the Lunar Eclipse? Despair Not...

There will be another total lunar eclipse, visible across all North America, on February 20, 2008.
This one will occur in the evening hours.

My sincere apologies to you if you missed sleep on Tuesday but wouldn't have bothered doing so had you known this in advance!

But... I hope you did see Tuesday's eclipse. I did, and I'm glad, because not all eclipses are the same! The exact coloration of the Moon depends upon the amount of dust and smoke present in the Earth's atmosphere at the time of the eclipse, as well as how far the Moon penetrates the inner part of Earth's shadow. Tuesday's eclipse was, in my opinion, especially beautiful--a uniform, pale red when the eclipse reached totality--so presumably these factors were at play in just the right way.

Within the next day, I'll update this entry with a link to some photos when I get the chance to look for some good ones.

UPDATE: From APOD, image credit & copyright Martin Pugh.

No comments: