Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Amazing Weather Phenomenon Discovered!


Undoubtedly there are earthly phenomena you know about, but just haven't witnessed firsthand. Hurricanes, volcanoes, and earthquakes are a few candidates that personally come to mind. (Despite having lived the majority of my life in Illinois, happily I've even yet to see a tornado!)

Conversely, there are phenomena you may have experienced, but never knew what it was, or even that it had a name, for example: Sun dogs, crepuscular rays, green flash, or Belt of Venus. (I know; cool right? Now you know.)

But how rare is it that you come across a phenomenon which you had neither heard of nor experienced in your entire life? Well, probably as rare as GJs--"Gigantic jets".

Believe it or not, "Gigantic jets" are newly discovered, and were inadvertantly captured on film for the first time in the continental U.S. just nine days ago by one Mr. Richard Smedley of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Watch these powerful discharges in the video linked above, and read more about them here, on today's APOD.

1 comment:

Sherry kughn said...

Hi, I suppose that is some type of lightning. I'll look it up on the Interent. Very interesting. I saw (but did not have my camera) for a brillian sun pillar yesterday. It was the result of ice crystals in the atmosphere between the viewer and the sun. Very lovely.